Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Transition and Fatigue

Well, as many of you know, my firstborn learned a new trick this week, jumping out of his crib! Prior to this incident our night time and sleep routines were pretty good for having two babies under two. My Silas (or Yi Yi, as Josiah calls him) is a great night sleeper...typically going four hours between feedings at night, and in his crib Josiah was definitely sleeping through the night, so we were in sleep heaven around here. Enter jumping capabilities. Once Josiah learned to jump out of his crib he repeated it several times with loud thuds echoing through the house, so Saturday night, the toddler bed emerged. His toddler bed is simply his crib converted to basically a day bed, but you would think it is a horrible monster the way he acts when he has to fall asleep there! Poor baby, it is a huge transition for him and one that most kids don't make until they're two or three, but I assume that most kids don't climb out of their beds like Josiah. So we're on night four of the toddler bed and it has taken him a while to fall asleep there tonight. Motherhood is not for the faint of heart - no matter how you decide to teach your kids to sleep, it is work work work! So currently I'm doing what most stressed out women do when their child is resisting change and their husband is at work, I'm eating peanut butter straight out of the jar, holding Silas and praying that Josiah has a peaceful night!

Silas has really started cooing and talking this week. Have I mentioned what a joy he is? He totally is a content baby no matter where we are or what we're doing and I am so in love with him. His little personality is emerging more each day and I believe in my heart is he one of the sweetest souls in history. His favorite thing to do right now is nurse and also to chew on his tongue. He is just too cute!

The pictures I'm posting are of a couple of play dates Josiah had this week - quite the ladies man, and of Josiah trying out his toddler bed. The ones of Silas are of him in and out of sleep, looking like the angel that he is.

I'll conclude tonight with some of the best parenting advice I've received from family and friends...

1. Cherish your rocking chair time, it can be your quiet time with your child and with God. - Mom

2. Be in the moment. - Mom in law Debbie

3. You can do this, and it is ok to ask for help. - Cassie

4. Keep at it while they're young and disciplining will be easier as they grow. - Angie

5. You're doing a great job. - Emily

6. Enjoy these times when they're little and you're overwhelmed. One day they'll be 30 and have families of their own and you'll wish you could do it all again. - Every mom I know


I love you all and treasure your friendship!

2 comments:

Leigh said...

Jenn this pictures help me stay grounded and in the moment, they also connect or re-connect me to you all. Thank you for posting them. I miss you all so very much

The Shoemakes said...

you should write a book : )