Thursday, January 8, 2009

I make being a mom look easy...

Or so I thought as I woke yesterday morning with my two precious boys wanting some milk. Nurse Silas while pouring Josiah's milk? No problem. Change Silas while cooking pancakes for Josiah? Minor league stuff. Put Josiah down for a nap while holding Silas in a mayawrap? Piece o'cake. Shower, workout, and do laundry while Josiah naps and Silas nurses? I'm a pro.

BUT...let a 17 month old learn how to nose dive out of a pack and play and try to get him to stay in there for a nap anyway? I'm done! Throwing in the towel. Waving the white flag of surrender... ha ha! That's right! When we're at home, little J typically naps 2 times a day, in his crib, without much drama or fanfare. When we visit my mom's he usually naps in a pack and play in her room. Lately its been a little more trying because he figured out how to reach the blinds (big no no), then he figured out how to open the blinds from his little coup d'baby pack and play. Well, we finally got all that figured out and yesterday after I put him down for his nap over there to enjoy some time with my mom, I hear the loudest crash ever, followed by screaming. Natural mommy reaction? Run as fast as you can, fling open the door to see what has happened to the love of your life, right? Right. BUT WRONG CHOICE. I fling open the door, hear another bang, as I realize I just knocked down my toddler with the door. It never occurred to me that he had climbed out of the pack and play. So, I put him back in to see how it happened. Nose dive. Face first. Didn't even really phase him. And so the newest mommy battle begins: how to get a toddler to stay in a confined space that he knows he can escape. What should I do? Get a toddler bed for my mom's house? Punish him for crawling out? Ugh! This mommy thing is not for the faint of heart! If you have suggestions, I'm open. If you have a small toddler bed, I would love to try it out! Thank God that so far he cannot reach to get out of the crib. But, I know it is coming. Hopefully not for another two years (although I'd be content if he wishes to stay in the crib until he's 20, it has worked wonders for my sleep patterns).

Ok, so other than that drama, a funny thing happened with Josiah yesterday. Have I blogged yet about how smart he is? He is basically a genius (like his mom). (I would like to add that when I spell checked this blog, I had spelled genius wrong) Anyway, he is getting really good at being sneaky, putting puzzles together, and charming his way into whatever he wants. But yesterday I really got a new glimpse of his personality. He is patient when it comes to playing a joke or doing something clever. When he woke up from his morning nap (in his crib, as obviously the afternoon nap was a bust - see previous paragraph), he was in a great mood. When I went to lift him out of his crib he sat back down started laughing and said "yocks." That is his word for socks. I looked and he had one of his socks off. I said "where is it?" And he reached underneath the back side of his mattress and pulled it out. He started laughing and so did I. I tried to get him out of his crib, and again he said "yocks." I simply laughed, and he reached back to his hiding spot, and pulled out another sock (one I had long since given up finding the match to). This scenario played out 5 more times! All the while he is laughing his little head off. That's right...6 unmatched socks were all hiding under his mattress. And they were small socks so I know they were there for like months! I haven't even see them when I change his sheets! And he knew they were right there, in a secret hiding spot, and he waited until yesterday to share with me his little secret. I laughed until I cried and he laughed so hard too. Being a mom is simply an amazing experience...like a roller-coaster, and that moment definitely was a thrill!

Ok, now let's switch gears to little (I should say big) baby Silas! He is simply an angel baby. Basically he eats, poops, and sleeps. Ya know, typical baby stuff, but he does it better than all other babies in the land. Ha ha. Seriously though, his sleeping so far has been amazing. Last night, he gave us a 5 (yes you read that right) hour stretch of sleep, followed by a 3 hour stretch. Now folks, that might not sound amazing to you, but after my first born's never ending sleep saga, that is a miracle. Josiah did not give us a 5 hour stretch EVER until he was 13 months old. Silas is only 3 weeks! I am hoping that it lasts, but I'll take any night of sleep I can get! It was heaven. I will share another story (wow I'm full of them today). I've been having Silas sleep in our bed with us. Last night, Jeremy took him up and put him in the little bassinet we have by the bed. Jeremy was like "he needs to learn to sleep in there." I agree, but I could tell that Jeremy was ready for some normal sleep and cuddling so I didn't protest. Daddy needed mommy to return to some sense of normalcy. Got it. So, then Josiah wakes up around 1 am (for the first time in forever) screaming. My immediate thought? He jumped out of his crib. So I run to his room. He had not done that, but was acting scared so I got him and took him downstairs so as not to disturb Jeremy and Silas. Josiah and I fall asleep on the couch. Josiah needed mommy. Well then at 2:30 I hear Silas (or "Squeaky" as we call him) making his "I'm hungry" noises. Jeremy brings him downstairs. Silas needs mommy. Jeremy put Josiah back to bed, and as I fed Silas, I couldn't help but think how wonderful and overwhelming it is to enter into the world of mommyhood. It definitely is something one has to experience to understand. It is wonderful to be needed, and overwhelming to think that everything I do in life affects the three most important people in my world. I am amazed that God would fill my life so full with this awesome responsibility!

Jeremy is doing well with his CPE program. He is now visiting the NICU regularly and God has opened some big doors for him there. Keep praying for him as he stays so busy with work, school, church and being a great hubby and daddy.

If you read this whole post, way to go! Here's what you really look on the blog for (updated pics of the boys!):




4 comments:

Thomas family said...

Cute stories! You still make being a mom sound easy. I can't wait. Your boys are so cute.

The Shoemakes said...

Those stories are hilarious!!!!!! And...the pictures are adorable!!!!!!!

Getting Fit said...

Every story you told reflected my own life. Chloe never tried to climb out of anything so we don't know that one, but SUper-Nanny would tell you to place him back inside the pack n play and tell him firmly to go to sleep and then stand out side of the door. Later, rinse, repeat, as needed. It takes a steely will to do this...

I love being a mommy! It IS such a blessing!! Thakns for your sharing! we can't wait to be up there with you guys soon so we can get to know your little ones!!!

See you in Feb!

Mrs. Estep said...

The story where you knocked Josiah over with the door literally made me laugh out loud...a "guffaw" if you will. :)Anyways, it's awesome to hear your stories...some suspenseful and some hilariously funny. What a great reminder of the amazing world of "mommyhood." Oh and by the way, your boys are soooo handsome!
Love and miss you!
~Heidi